Search This Blog

Sunday 18 November 2012

Review of Sun Fun Chips Granola Bar

So a little while ago I bought a Sun Fun Chips Granola Bar from Pets at Home for £1.99 and although I did say I was going to break it up and give it to them in bite size pieces I decided that the best way to see how good it is would be to give it to them whole. This way I would be able to see if they were scared of it (because as we all know, most parrots are drama queens), if they could actually bite of pieces of it when it is whole and whether the treat stayed on the attachment and didn't just fall to the floor.


Drama Queen Test
This is from: http://pjmedia.com/files/2012/02/drama_queen1.jpg

Japh went for it within minutes, I lead him to it twice only to have him fly back to play with me but on the third go he was nibbling away at it. Alex though was not interested for the first two days - but then again she's not really treat orientated - it was only when she saw Japh mauling it that she decided to join in.


Ouch Test
This is from: http://www.howtogetmyexback.net/image/obj1455geo1249pg54p14.jpg

This treat stick is really soft! Not a challenge at all. Although the outside is a little tough, the inside is so soft it's almost spongy ... and personally I like to give them something that they have to work at, something that will keep them busy when there is nobody there to play with them. A definite minus, for me at least, on the other hand ... this soft, easy treat bar could be a great way to introduce treat sticks to new birds who haven't had one before or for those with tiny, weak beaks like finches.


TIMBER!! Test
This is from: http://wtfcontent.com/img/130200330846.jpg

Now my birds are anuses sometimes, I've bought them treat bells where they've only nibbled near the hook until it goes crashing to the ground into a bazillion tiny pieces and some treat bars are the same, you'll find large clumps of whole seed on the floor of your cage that you have to throw away or dump in their food bowl. This though stayed pretty solid - of course there was a pile of seeds on the floor but when I rifled through them I was happy to see no chunks - only single seeds for the most parts.

Some pictures for your amusement.

Not a whole lot left of it ... In my opinion it's those multiple prongs that are jutting out of it that is helping to keep such a soft seed stick from crumbling away and ending up on the floor of your cage.

This hole at the top is for those of you who can only or would prefer to tie  it to your cage/playgym 

This tiny little hook is for those lucky people with really thin cage bars - you can just hook it on, BUT if you have birds who play rough or like to climb on things then just tie it up because it's not very secure when it's hooked up using this method.
Judgement
This is from: http://www.toonpool.com/user/997/files/judge_busybody_cops_256985.jpg

Although the Sun Fun Chips Granola bar has a lot of pluses, mainly being that it stays whole, they weren't terrified of it and there is only a tiny little bit left of it - I don't think it's for me. It is way too easy and for the price I'm paying I'm really only getting the kind of seeds you would find included in a cheap canary feed and as for the "colored whole wheat cookie chips that entice the pickiest pets," I took all that off as I don't like to give my pets any artificially colored food of any kind.

Would I buy this again ... maybe, if it was on offer but this would be a treat only once a month or so.





No comments:

Post a Comment